Thursday, October 13, 2011

Clergymen's Letter and Civil Rights Movement

1. Passive Resistance:  Is resistance by nonviolent methods, such as refusing to comply, demonstrating in protest, or fasting.  These acts of resistance are directed  toward a government, an occupying power, or specific laws.  It is said that The nonviolent theory was developed by Henry David Thoreau in his essay, Civil Disobedience (1849) and later adopted by Martin Luther King Junior.  Other well-known practicers of passive resistance include Leo Tolstoy and Mohandas Gandhi.  


2.


Photo 1:
Photo 1 was taken in North Carolina in 1965.  It is a photograph of Klu Klux Klan Grand Dragon, James R. (Bob) Jones.  He is posing after lighting the cross at a nighttime rally.  The burning of the cross was to call in clans or to tell clan members to come, a signal invented by the Scottish.  My initial reaction was to choose this photo because of the history South Dakota has with the KKK.  May times we thing those things just happened in the South, but a klan started in Southeast South Dakota near Canton and Beresford in 1921.  Within the next year there were klan out in the Black Hills; and by 1925 there were klans in almost every major city in South Dakota.  Until 1928 a small town outside of Sturgis was very popular and full of klan activity; even though there is very little evidence today. 




Photo 2:


Photo 2 was taken in Birmingham, Alabama in 1963.  It is a photograph of a group you African American youth in front a a department store so called "taunting" a white police man. I picked this photo because I found it kind of ironic that the white police officer looks slightly frightened.  However if the colors were reversed I think the thought process and his view on the situation would be completely different, along with many other white Americans of that time. 


3.  As much as I wish I could confidently say that there isn't discrimination, whether it is racial, gender, job, or age-related, because I believe that there most definitely is here is Sioux Falls today.  I am currently reading a book titled Uprooting Racism for a different class right now and while it doesn't talk specifically about Sioux Falls, it is talking about the United States in its current day and age.  As Martin Luther King Junior said in the Letter from Birmingham Jail "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."


4.  My topic for my major paper #2 is racial discrimination in the criminal courts system.  I plan to support this claim with statistics I have found on the racial groups of people arrested, and for what charge.  I also plan on supporting it is real cases that the public should be slightly knowledgeable about.  I think that 3 ways in which i can use ethos and logos in my next paper would be 1) referring to different law which are supposed to be stopping racial discrimination; 2) using examples about reputable cases and apply to the specific audience; and 3) refer to past experiences in the world like Genocide, the Holocaust, and the Civil Rights Movement.  

1 comment:

  1. Holy Toledo, Blair. This is some intense digging you did to reveal this kind of klan activity in SD. I honestly had no idea these events occurred up here. Coming from Arkansas, I am quite familiar with the klan activity in the south. I look forward to your essay, too. Thanks for your time and effort here.

    ReplyDelete